In the 20th century, the British ceramic industry had two important monthly trade journals: The Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review (PG) and The Pottery and Glass Record (P&GR), which became Pottery and Glass (P&G) in 1944. These publications exist today under the name TableWare International, now owned and published by Lema Publishing Ltd of Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, England. Due credit is given to that company for the advertisements which appear in this section. The images have been made possible with the notable assistance of the Staffordshire & Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
Gray's Pottery is first advertised in 1915, some 2½ years after establishing its production base in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. There's a flurry of adverts in 1919 and 1930, followed by just one in 1935 and then nothing until after the Second World War. Then, starting in January 1946, Gray's Pottery features monthly, alternately, in PG and P&G until 1958. During 1959 and 1960 there is just one design of advertisement, promoting splash lustre products, and only appearing in PG. Three Portmeirion-inspired adverts, all based on a similar theme, appear in 1961 to be replaced by a Portmeirion Potteries advert proclaiming "formerly Grays Pottery" in February 1962.
Throughout the life of the company, Gray's Pottery products appear regularly as part of editorial features or exhibition reports. These, together with the advertisements, kept buyers informed of the range on offer.